Last year I bought a second hand LGB tramway locomotive. When I bought it one of the buffers was missing, the other one fell of almost directly. So I decided it had to have new buffers and a while back I made a RTV mold from the one remaining buffer (I thought I had some pictures of that but I can't find them at the moment). Yesterday I casted new buffers from tin (pewter?).
As you can see I was accompanied by a true silversmith!
The newly produced buffers at the right. The detail was pretty good actually.
I casted a few more so I have a little stock now. The ones that did not turn out fine get right back in the melting pot, as you can see! It is real fun you can use the tin more than once.
And after cleaning up this is how it looks like on the model.
It has a screw in it from the rear because the casted buffer is rather heavy and I did not trust to glue it.
We both had a great time experimenting with this.
We also (tried) casted a few brake levers, some H0 scale imitation axle bearings and a nameplate but those did not came out very good. I have to work on these molds a bit more (make some small air tunnels in it so the tin can flow better to all places) or perhaps make some new molds.
And the thing was that the RTV I used was already one year overdue and I had the feeling this influenced the quality of it.
Some new molds are planned using some LGB parts (levers, airhose). This way I can copy the parts for use on second hand LGB stock were parts are missing or even better; in scratchnbuild projects.